Software Automation Engineer
You will be working within a small, fast-moving team, ensuring the quality of our web-and cloud-based application through automated testing. This role focuses on our Application Delivery suite of applications, our cloud-based management platform (Nova), and several high-end clients’ custom needs. We work primarily in PHP and Go, backed by SQLite, MySQL (Maria), InfluxDB and various key-value stores. The frontends are all HTML5, making extensive use of modern CSS/JS (jQuery, etc.). You need to be able to implement, maintain and extend the CI/CD processes and associated automated test scripts.
We work on exciting, large-scale projects, with enormous amounts of data and extreme performance requirements. Knowledge and experience with large sites, and especially complex/high-end networking concepts is a big plus.
The role will test your end-to-end technical testing skills within the automated landscape, with substantial technical challenges within the business scope. While you will welcome any chance to innovate and use your initiative, you should also be able to implement best practices to produce tested, secure, reliable, and scalable software.
- The rare opportunity to join one of the hottest ZA start-ups with 50+ million in funding.
- Join a company that is an exciting blend of a vibrant start-up environment and professional operations in our brand-new offices in Johannesburg or Cape Town
- Play a significant role in shaping the look and feel of one of the most vibrant tech start-ups in South Africa
- Enjoy flexible structures, flat hierarchies and motivated colleagues
- Remuneration is competitive and is negotiable depending on experience
- Learn unique and valuable skills from experts in an $8 billion industry
- Do things that no one else in Africa is doing!
We are looking for a uniquely talented individual who has been playing with Linux/BSD for ages, and who understands networking, open-source, and advanced development and automation testing practices.
For this reason, we have no education requirements, but rather require someone with related experience who is passionate about what we do. We pay well and have an amazing environment but are only accepting the best.
- Knowledge of automated testing frameworks and implementations for backend and frontend testing
- The ability to manage an end-to-end test plan for a set of features, culminating in a lightweight set of automated tests providing confidence regularly
- Prior experience automated testing APIs
- Proven development skill (preferably in PHP)
- Experience with integrating with the Selenium library or equivalent frameworks
- A firm understanding of and flair for exploring and utilizing the latest CI/CD, DevOps and Automation Testing technologies and best practices
- Proficiency managing and deploying services on public cloud and could-native environments
- Excellent English communication skills to collaborate with a service-oriented team
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Worked with custom automation frameworks which are fit for purpose within the project scope
- Automated testing outside of a commercial testing tool (2-4 years)
- Scale and Load based automated test experience
- Backend, Frontend and API Automation Experience
- Linux based OS (2-4 years)
- Some level of networking experience
- Git source code management, specifically GitHub
- Able to provide at least two examples of work
Highly advantageous skills:
- Knowledge of PHP Frameworks (like Laravel, Zend, Symfony, etc.) and content platforms
- Strong critical and analytical thinking
- Advanced knowledge of Linux systems administration
- Advanced networking knowledge (TCP, IPv4/IPv6, etc.)
- Ability to work both at the office and at home, and self-manage
- Ability to interact with clients, understand their needs, and grow in the business